Labels

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Stollen

This was originally from a recipe of my Grandmother F.'s, but the copy I found is in my mother's handwriting: I honestly don't know if this is Grandmom's original dry-as-dust version or one improved, possibly by my sister L. The fact that it has a whole cup of shortening points towards it being an improved version: Grandmom was greatly affected by her and my grandfather's poverty during the Great Depression years, and her cooking always showed it --- she'd have found it hard to 'waste' this much shortening, whether butter, margarine or even lard, on one cake. Make this recipe at your own risk!

The recipe doesn't specify quantities, but I'd go with at least a teaspoon of lemon rind and a cup of raisins or dried currents.

2 packages dry yeast
4 cups flour
2 beaten eggs
lemon rind
raisins
1 cup softened shortening
5 tablespoons sugar

Mix together all ingredients. Let rise in warm place for one hour, punch down and let rise for another hour. Roll out on a floured surface, fold in half. Brush the top with another beaten egg. Bake on a cookie sheet for 30 minutes at 325 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment