Labels

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Years ago, I was flattered when my Aunt Mary told me that she liked my chocolate chip cookies so much that she wanted the recipe. No problem, I wrote it out and sent it to her. Next thing I heard was that Aunt Mary had called my mother/her sister, to complain that if I didn't want to tell Mary the recipe, I should have just said so, not lied about it!

To keep peace in the family, I called Mary to find out what the problem was...... and it turned out the problem was Mary: she didn't want to 'waste' all that 'expensive' butter, so she used Crisco instead. She saw no reason to use both granulated sugar AND brown sugar: too complicated. Finally, she didn't have any semi-sweet chocolate on hand, so she used milk chocolate. And so, it was all my fault her cookies didn't taste as good.

Please, don't be Mary.

1 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar (I like dark brown)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 cups (about 24 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Cream together butter, sugars, eggs and vanilla until light and fluffy.
Mix together flour, salt and baking soda; stir thoroughly into creamed mixture.
Add chocolate chips and nuts, mix well.
Drop spoonfuls about two inches apart on a greased cookie sheet.
Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes, remove from pan immediately and cool on wire rack.
Makes about 6 dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment